"The Moxie Strings mix chops with heart"
"Stir-crazy" (single) Released October 16, 2015.
Hailed by The Grand Rapids Press as “top-notch, instrumental wizardry,” The Moxie Strings offer listeners the unique opportunity to experience two of the world’s best-known instruments through a young, progressive lens. Diana Ladio and Alison Lynn, often joined by percussionist, Fritz McGirr, all hold Bachelor of Music degrees in music performance, which have given each the technical foundation to explore the limits of his/her instrument and helped the group build a reputation for musical excellence. The Moxie Strings compose the majority of their pieces and arrange melodies from many traditions, resulting in a genre-blurring blend of ear-catching melodies and foot-stomping, rock-influenced rhythms. Alison performs on a newly-invented, electric cello, and Diana on a contemporary 5-string violin, both through a variety of audio effects pedals. Fritz performs on a mix of world percussionist instruments and drum kit. Their polished, high-energy show and unique sound have quickly made the band one of the country’s most promising instrumental acts.
Having made the exploratory journey from classical music to a world of eclecticism and music creativity, the three have now dedicated their careers to helping young musicians make this life-changing and transformative transition through clinics in school music programs. TMS clinics focus on musical self-discovery and the importance of incorporating socially and culturally relevant genres of music in the music classroom. The band tours extensively both playing shows and teaching clinics. Current Magazine insists that “the future of music could not be in better hands.”
Dune Climb Concert 2014. Approx. 3,000 in attendance
Past Performances Include:
The Milwaukee Irish Festival
Great American Irish Festival
Founders Brewing Co.
Ann Arbor Street Art Fair
Bowling Green University
The Maryland Irish Festival
The Burren Boston
Traverse City Film Festival
Texas Music Educators Conference
Michigan Irish Music Festival
The Intersection Grand Rapids
Manitou Music Festival
- WorldFest Louisville
- Fifth Third Ballpark
- Colorado Irish Festival
- Goose Island Brewing Chicago
- St. Andrew’s Highland Games
- Annapolis Irish Festival
- Kalamazoo Fretboard Festival
- Michigan State University
- ArtPrize Grand Rapids
- Detroit Athletic Club
- Lemoyne College Syracuse
- 2010 National Curling Championships
a glimpse into the life of the moxie strings:
The Moxie Strings have shared stages with:
- Gaelic Storm
- Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas
- The Elders
- Black Violin
- Brown Bird
- As soloists with the Battle Creek Symphony
- The Ragbirds
- The Young Dubliners
- Among many others
Working in partnership with Shar Music to reach more students, teachers, and communities nationwide.
"When it comes to The Moxie Strings, the name says it all"
For all booking inquiries:
- Featured Clinicians at the Michigan Band & Orchestra Association’s 1st Alternative Styles Day at Michigan State University.
- Accepted as members of the 2012-2015 Michigan Humanities Council Touring Directory
- Finalists in the U.S. Department of State’s American Music Abroad Program
- Sponsored by national strings provider, Shar Music.
- Nominated for several Detroit Music Awards
- Endorsed by NS Design
- Accepted to compete in the 2012 ArtPrize Competition
- Clinicians at the 2015 Massachusetts Music Educators Conference
- Clinicians at the 2012, 2013, 2014
Michigan Music Conference
- Clinicians at the 2012 Ohio Music Educators Conference
- Clinicians at the 2012 Chicago Midwest Clinic
- Clinicians at the 2013, 2014 Texas Music Education Conference